Wednesday, August 12, 2015

A Dream Fulfilled

We are sitting in our room in the Marriott Marquis hotel in New York having just come from seeing Les Miserables. This is Haley's absolute favorite Broadway musical. The starring role was played by her favorite singer, Ramin Karimloo. In February, I wrote him a letter explaining that Haley was really sick and that she played his music over and over and that it brought her great comfort. He responded with an autographed photo, which thrilled her.

She actually bought the tickets for herself and I as a graduation gift for me. She wanted so badly to meet Ramin. My sister knows someone in the show and contacted her to see if she could arrange for Ramin to meet Haley. As we were standing at the stage door, I read an email that my sister had forwarded to me from the lady apologizing and saying that she had to dash out right after the show to go to an audition. Haley was disappointed but we waited anyway.

Eventually, the door opened and there he was. I called out his name (much to Haley's horror) and he came over to her. He spoke with her for a few minutes as she explained how much his singing had meant to her these many months. He looked directly at her and thanked her for her kind words. He asked about her surgeries and said that he would pray for her!! What a thrill for Haley and what a classy man Mr. Karimloo is! Haley just said to me, "I can die now!"

As a mom it has been so hard to watch Haley miss out on so many things in her life. What a blessing to see her have a dream fulfilled. I must say that I was not entirely looking forward to this trip, as I wasn't sure how we were going to get her around in a wheelchair. We usually stay with family in New Jersey and take a train in to NYC but that was not going to be easy in her present condition. Then last week we got a call from some very generous relatives who offered to put us up in a hotel that is literally yards from the theater. What a blessing. And then for her to have a few moments with this singer and for him to autograph her program was just wonderful. We have been counting the blessings that come her way this whole trip. In fact, Haley keeps jokingly saying "hashtag blessed" to me whenever we spot one, and there have been many. She has not waited in any lines. They waved her up to the head of the bathroom line in front of 25 people during intermission (hashtag wheelchair perks?). I asked folks to pray that she wouldn't faint during the show and she didn't! (Except for once after her bathroom break). Blessings are all around us and they point is to the God of all blessings. We are headed to Carmine's for dinner with some of our family from New Jersey (another yummy blessing!) I will post pictures later when I am not on my phone. We are so grateful for you all!! Today is such a good day!!



No comments:

Post a Comment