Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Spinal Headache

Holding Pattern

Haley is in a holding pattern. She has been so, so ill. It was determined that she has a spinal headache. This is when there is a puncture in the lining of the spinal canal/brain. It can happen after a person has a spinal anesthetic or, less commonly, after a spinal tap. The usual treatment is for them to draw a vial of the patient's blood and inject it into the spinal space, where it clots and closes the leak. We know that Haley had a tear in her dura during the surgery on Wednesday. It happens pretty frequently. She had the shunt placed on Friday night because Dr. H. said that her pressure was high in her spinal fluid and that it caused the tear that he had repaired to "spring a leak". (My words, not his.) I spoke with the PA, Bob, this morning and asked about getting her a blood patch. He spoke with Dr. Henderson, and came back and told us that it was not possible because it could clot off the shunt. So she has to ride it out, which is usually two days flat in bed with a lot of IV fluids and as much caffeine as the person can tolerate. (Not sure what the caffeine does, something with vascular constriction, I think.) Anyway, we asked about IV caffeine (yes, it does exist, don't tell Larry or he will want some!) and we were told that the manufacturer stopped making it. Boo.

So, she has to lay flat or the headache is really bad. When she gets up to use the bathroom, her headache pain goes to a 15!!! Poor Haley. She is so brave and has fought so hard. She has also had some nausea and vomiting, but that is a bit better.

10,000 Reasons 

As I type this she is listening to the song, "10,000 Reasons." For anyone who goes to our church, you know that Haley sang this as a solo at the end of January when she was so sick she had to be helped on and off the stage. It was beautiful and for me and many others it will always be "Haley's song".  In fact, one lady emailed me a few days ago to say that when she heard Haley sing it, she had a sense that things were going to get better for her. She didn't know how or when, but she just knew that God was going to do something great in and through Haley. She told me she wants Haley to sing it again for the church when she's well enough. I think that's a good idea. I always cry when I hear it, but that's pretty much par for the course these days.

Here is a picture of her listening to that song.

 
For those of you who are unfamiliar with the song, some of the lyrics are:
 
Bless the Lord, Oh my soul, Oh my soul. Worship His holy name.
Sing like never before, Oh my soul, I'll worship your holy name.
 
The sun comes up, it's a new day dawning. It's time to sing your song again.
Whatever may pass and whatever lies before me, let me be singing when the evening comes.
 
You're rich in love and you're slow to anger. Your name is great and your heart is kind.
For all your goodness I will keep on singing, ten thousand reasons for my heart to find.
 
How sweet to see her in this condition and wanting to hear this song over and over. How wonderful to know that we can always sing in our hearts even when the days are dark, like these have been.
 
Many have asked when she will be discharged. The answer is, I don't know. They said it's usually two days flat before the thing seals itself up. She said that if she felt like she does when she's flat, she could go home, but the headache is really severe when she gets up at all. Plus, I am probably traveling alone with her for the 2.5 hour ride home, which is a bit daunting. If she's not in good shape, it will be really hard to get her home.
 
Larry left to go back home to tend to his painting business, and a friend, Kathleen, came to stay with me, but she has to leave tomorrow morning (Wednesday) so I will be by myself. It's a bit scary, but I can do it.(I think. Anyone up for a road trip, I hear Maryland is lovely this time of year, ha ha!)
 
Please pray for quick healing of this leak and subsequent spinal headache. Also for perseverance for Haley (and me, too). Pray that there will be no more vomiting (she had some a while ago this afternoon.) Pray for her to be strengthened inside and outside (she's really physically weak and I wouldn't let them get her up today because of the spinal headache.)
 
Thanks to all who have followed and prayed and helped in other ways. I have no idea who is following, and this blog will not let folks leave comments, so I don't get many (any). Feel free to send me a face book message or email me at chicofam7@msn.com if you have something you would like to say. Thanks.https://www.facebook.com/amy.a.chico
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Praying for you all Amy. May God give Haley the strength to persevere, and you the strength to stand by her during her recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am praying for Haley and the rest of your family!!!
    (I am Greta Houff's sister-in-law)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ChiropractorRockland and Chiropractor Bergen County or Chiropractic is a branch of the healing arts based upon the understanding that good health depends, in part, upon a normally functioning nervous system (especially the spine, and the nerves extending from the spine to all parts of the body).

    We usually get back pain neck pain or Headaches that is really a disturbance, well, come and see Dr. Ratsprecher in Chiropractor Montebello Airmont before in Chiropractor Suffern Because a properly functioning spine is a key component to your overall well being. There are 31 pairs of spinal nerves that innervate the organs and living tissue in your body. When the spinal motion is compromised your spinal nerves become irritated and your body will be in a state of stress and imbalance.

    ReplyDelete