Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Turnaround

Progress

Today things were looking really bleak. I felt like we were in a sailboat without any wind, just floating in the ocean.  I woke up early to shower and meet Dr. Henderson at the hospital. I had spoken with him by phone last night and he said he would be at the hospital at 7:00 am. I said, "I will meet you then." I must have misunderstood him because he didn't come. I finally texted him, at the nurse's urging, and basically said, "I'm here, where are you?" (Not in those words, though, haha)

Finally at 11:00 he came in. He poked his head in the door and asked if it was OK if he brought someone in to see Haley. Of course we agreed, and in walked this young lady named Carissa. He said that she had had similar surgery as Haley, but she had had a really tough time. He told Haley, "Compared to her, you are a rock star!" I asked her how long she was in the hospital, and she said "32 days." Wow!! All of a sudden things didn't seem so gloomy for us. She only told part of her story because Dr. H was late for clinic. He told us we could talk with her more later. He stood Haley up out of bed and decided that her head was too far forward, which is adding to her pain. Here he is teaching her how to stand up straight.


Then he took her for a walk down the hall. I love the pictures of the two of them together. He really is a kind doctor who connects well with his patients. He sort of sees these young people as if they are is own kids, it seems. I thought these two pictures were especially sweet. Haley said that while they walked, she was telling him that she hadn't walked since May 22nd. He had forgotten that and seemed surprised. I think he was extra pleased at how well she was walking then.
 
 
This one is from a distance, but I think it shows a tenderness between doctor and patient. He really is something the way he can get these post-op patients up and moving.
 

Finally, on the way back to her room, Haley flashed her signature thumbs up sign. She really is such a trooper. Love that girl!!

Discharge?

So they are starting to talk about what needs to happen for Haley to be discharged. She has to be eating and drinking and her plumbing has to be working. So far all is good with these. Then her pain needs to be controlled by oral pain meds. This is being tested as we speak. They gave her a pill a while ago, so if it works, we may be ready to declare our independence soon.

I called Larry and told him that I wanted him to come back up here and help me get her home. Paige, our oldest daughter, had volunteered to come, so it was decided that they would come up this evening and spend the night with me in the hotel. If Haley is let out tonight, we will take her back to the hotel and Paige and I will help her get a proper bath--the first one she will have had since May 19th (not counting the outdoor Bathsheeba-style deck-bath behind the towels!!) If she's not up to it, we will just wash her up. We will also do a dry shampoo for her. Dr. H. says no water yet on the incision at the back of her head. Speaking of that, apparently they call folks who have had this type of surgery "zipperheads" because their scar looks like a zipper up the back of their heads! Two of the other patients, Sarah and Dianne, tracked down these zipper bracelets and Sarah came by last night before leaving town for Canada, and gave one to Haley.  Here is a picture of the bracelet:
I think that's really a cute idea. Maybe when I get back home, I will have to find some more to give to all of Haley's Angels who have helped us so much through this amazing and difficult journey. I will post again soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment