Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Low Lows and a Very High High!!

Difficult Days


The days have seemed to go on endlessly with little change. Today we got word that the blood patch could not be done at our local hospital and that we would have to travel back to Maryland. This was quite a blow for us. I couldn't even imagine how I would get her up there, as it is hard for her to be upright for any more than about 3 minutes without her headache becoming very, very severe.  Some phone calls were made, and Dr. Henderson clarified the type of order and it was determined that our local hospital could indeed do that type of blood patch. What a relief. It is scheduled for some time tomorrow (although we don't know the time yet.)

House Call


Our doctors have been known to make occasional house calls (I know y'all are jealous!) and tonight Dr. Schubert did just that. He wanted to see her incision with his own eyes. He thought it looked a bit better than the picture I sent him, but wants us to continue with the warm saltwater compresses and the antibiotic. He also said that she looks overall better than when he saw her in the office on Friday. This is good news. He thinks that once the spinal headache is gone, she will continue to improve and life will get much better for her.

A Surprise Phone Call


A few minutes ago, my cell phone rang and a female voice asked me if this was the residence of Haley Chico. I said that it was, and the person on the other line said that she was Joni Eareckson Tada. This is Haley's hero of the faith. For those of you who aren't familiar with Joni (pronounced "Johnny"), she was paralyzed in a diving accident many years ago as a teenager. She has gone on to become a famous author, singer, inspirational speaker, and artist. Haley has read some of her books, and has found great strength in her writings about life and faith and perseverance. I nearly tripped running down the stairs with the phone to give it to her. When I told her who it was, she burst into tears. She told Joni that she couldn't believe she was talking to her. Joni seemed to know a lot about Haley's situation (maybe she's been reading my blog--YIKES!) Before the operation, Haley kept saying, "I wish I could speak to Joni."  Anyway, they spoke for a few minutes, and Haley put the phone on speaker. Then Joni started to sing to her. This was about the sweetest thing I have heard in a long time.

Haley has received two letters from Joni in the past several months. The first one was sort of a form letter, but the second one was more personal. She was amazed that a busy lady like Joni would take the time to write to her. She treasured those letters and wanted to get them framed. (I haven't done it yet.) This was even better. (Too bad you can't frame a phone call!) This is a picture of Joni:



I find it so interesting that this happened today. Today was a really hard day for me. I was struggling with fatigue (mostly emotional) and the feeling that things will never improve. It is immensely hard to watch your loved one suffer and you can do nothing about it. In addition, I feel as if I am constantly having to call some doctor or connect two doctors, or speak with staff at some office, or text some doctor...you get the idea. It is exhausting. I ran to the doctor's office this afternoon with a urine specimen (oh the things I do to get out--ha ha) and left Haley with our sweet neighbor, Roger for a few minutes. It was during this trip that I had a mini-meltdown. (see above)  Then after dinner, Haley's pain became really bad after she had vomited (TMI?). She began to cry and asked her dad to read her a Psalm (that's what she usually asks when she's feeling low) and to hold her hand. I retreated up to my study (Kevin's old room--who are we kidding?) to get to work on a paper for school. It was then that Joni called.

Aslan's Still Moving


Do you think that maybe God knew that we all needed a lift. I believe that God sends people to be His hands and feet. I'm sure that's what happened tonight. We saw a lot of His hands and feet today. Roger walked Lucy several times and stayed with Haley (watching Monk) while I ran an errand. Mary Lou and Elwood brought us the most yummy gluten-free dinner, Suzanne dropped off a half gallon of Kline's ice cream and gave me a therapeutic hug, Julie (my professor) assured me that she was flexible with my school work, and then Joni called. A few weeks back, I posted about how there are blessings all around us, and that if we would just open our eyes we would see them. I'm sorry to say that of late my eyes have not been very open. Yes, dear friends, Aslan is still on the move. Pray that we (I) would have the eyes to see Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment